Middle School Service
Middle School Day of service
On a sunny Friday in April, middle school students from St. Pius X School set out for a Day of Service. Together with their teachers and parent volunteers, one hundred and seventy five (175) students gave their time and talents to more than 10 non-profit organizations around Portland and Beaverton. The goal of the day was for the SPX students to actively give back to the greater community as a unified group.
With that in mind the students walked, traveled by bus, MAX and car to all corners of Portland and Beaverton. The students:
- sorted and inventoried clothes for foster children at Project Lemonade
- crafted, sang and visited with seniors at The Ackerly Retirement Community
- cleared ivy, brush and garbage from The Bluffs park with Tualatin Parks & Recreation Department
- cleaned and organized crafting supplies used by children in treatment in hospitals at Children’s Healing Art Project
- put on a carnival for the residents at Touchmark’s Memory Care Center
- closets were cleaned, floors vacuumed and grounds tidied to support homeless families at Family Promise of Beaverton
- diapers bundled and maternity supplies shelved at Mother Child Education Center PDX
- more sorting and cleaning was accomplished at NW Children’s Outreach and Rose Haven both supporting homeless and underprivileged women, children and families
- partnered up with their new friends with varying levels of Autism at Aim High Impact of Beaverton to interact, read, draw, play, practice riding a bike and develop social skills.
After working all morning the students came back to school to make Love Rocks to share in the community, write letters of comfort for children in the hospital, service members and seniors, as well as urge Congress to take action toward ending hunger by increasing funding for global nutrition programs.
The impact of this day goes well beyond these tasks. Through learning about the efforts of these incredible organizations the students were exposed to both the great need in our community and the opportunity to give back in a meaningful way moving forward.